Sunday, March 18, 2012

Scared Yet...

I cannot remember the last book I read that had me staying up until the early hours of the morning when I KNEW I had a busy day ahead and kids that'd be up at the crack of dawn.

The last book before Jaye Ford's SCARED YET, that is. I started this book Saturday morning and finished it in the early hours of the morning today!! Let me just explain, that I'm not the fastest of readers at the moment, because most of my free time is spent writing, so I maybe read one book a week.



 I read Jaye's debut BEYOND FEAR last year and loved it, so have been looking forward to this book for a while. I was NOT disappointed.

This is the story of a Livia, a capable business woman and mum who's going through some pretty rough stuff  in her personal life - marriage break-down, father dying. If that's not horrid enough, she'd beaten up by a thug and then the stalking starts. Threatening, scary notes and worse, bad things happening to people whom she loves. Jaye cleverly sets the scene so that after a couple of days of this happening, Liv has NO IDEA who to turn to.

There's a hook at the end of each chap that keeps you turning the pages as you wonder if the stalker is Liv's best friend, her best friend's husband, her new friend and supposed protector, someone in her office building or her ex. EVERYONE seems capable and suspicious on more than one occasion.

Liv is a gutsy heroine, who's hard not to barrack for. You want her to win and get her happily ever after - yes, there's that thread of romance that I like in ALL my books! However, despite knowing she's gotta survive in the end, it's touch-and-go till the very end, with one surprise after another.

I truly enjoyed this Thriller by another fabulous Aussie writer and I can't wait to see what Jaye Ford writes next.

I'm curious - what book have you read lately that was un-put-down-able?!!?

13 comments:

Karlene Blakemore-Mowle said...

I am so NOT reading this because I just know I wont be able to put it down either and I just dont have time to read non stop at the moment!!! But I cant wait to get started on it! loved the first book.
Karly Lane.

Rachael Johns said...

I bet your book will be the same Karly! Naughty me keeps starting books when I should be FINISHING my own :)

Shelleyrae said...

I loved Scared Yet?, I'm glad you did too!
Actually I have read a couple of books I couldn't out down lately including The Mistake by Wendy James and Shattered Sky by Helene Young

Shelleyrae @ Book'd Out

Rachael Johns said...

Ooh I read Helene's a while back but loved it too. Must add Wendy James to my TBR pile!

Anonymous said...

So glad you enjoyed it, Rachael. I'd read most of it in manuscript, but it still had my heart racing. (Very touching about the dad, too.)

Maree said...

This sounds great. Though might be too scary for me! Last book I couldn't put down was The Hunger Games- totally looking forward to the movie.

Rachael Johns said...

Ooh I'm jealous you get to read Jaye's works-in-progress Elizabeth :)

Hi Maree - I haven't read The Hunger Games but have it on order. And SCARED YET should definitely NOT be read alone at night!

Jenn J McLeod said...

I knew it would be great. What else with a title like that! Will enjoy reading it as a reward to myself soon.
PS rach - I'm jealous that you can read so much. I'm with karly. Not enough hours in the day for me ATM

Rachael Johns said...

Jenn - I don't usually read this much. I'm avoiding the problem wip!!

Madeline Ash said...

I'm not a fan of thrillers (speaking as a wuss). I suspect that while I wouldn't be able to put it down, I also wouldn't be able to sleep afterwards! Maree beat me to it, but the last books I couldn't put down were The Hunger Games. Talk about a hook at every close of chapter! And it goes on for three books! :)

Rachael Johns said...

Oh Madeline, I'm REALLY going to have to read The Hunger Games now. And I'm not usually one for thrillers either, cos I scare too easily. Jaye's books are an aberration in my reading habits :)

Lucy King said...

Ah, this one looks good...

The last book I couldn't put down was Before I Go to Sleep by SJ Watson. Fabulous!

Rachael Johns said...

Ooh I haven't read that one Lucy (or even heard off it) - off to check it out!