Sunday, October 31, 2010

Dear Diary


Dear Diary

I am SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO sorry I am SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO shocking at writing in you. As you know, numerous times over the years I've tried to keep to a diary writing schedule and looking back on the few attempts I've made are hilarious. But fact is, two weeks is the max I ever manage. For some reason, I just can't commit - no matter how beautiful you are (I've bought numerous gorgeous journals for this exact purpose), you just don't hold my attention for long.

But I've been wondering of late if keeping some kind of journal would be therapeutic at this time when writing is a mission to achieve in my life. I'm seriously contemplating opening a new bright pink journal I bought last week and starting a journal/diary for a while.

I wonder if there's any other writers out there who fail diaries like I do? Or do most writers keep journals as well?

As another aside, I barely slept a WINK last night cos I was waiting for my dear friend LEAH ASHTON to text me with news about how she'd done in the New Voices contest. In the end, I tried to turn off the light and go to sleep but I woke with the baby at 1.30am and checked all the possible announcement sites. As I read the good news - yep if ya haven't heard, LEAH WON - on Facebook, my phone vibrated announcing a msg. AS IF I could sleep after that fabulous news.

So CONGRATS dear Leah and good luck with what lies ahead :)

As for you diary... I'll keep contemplating the issue and maybe you'll see me again sooner rather than later.

x
Rach!

5 comments:

AJ Blythe said...

Oh Rach, snap!! I cannot for the life of me, no matter how good my resolve, keep a diary. And even so I have trouble resisting the gorgeous journals that are out there - and now fill my shelf, lol.

Instead I use them for my lists (now, them I can do, lol).

Suzanne Brandyn Author said...

I started and kept one for three years, and then wham it fizzled. It wasn't the pen to paper diary, I had a file on my computer. So perhaps create a file and call it My Diary on your computer. It may work.
All the best,

Suz :)

Mel Teshco said...

Diaries aren't for me, I just stare blankly at the pages and wonder what on earth I could fill it with (silly, coming from a writer).
I'd rather put those words into a fiction book (g)

Anonymous said...

I used to do the morning pages from The Artists Way and it helped a lot. But then that fell by the wayside and I'm like everyone else - can't resist the temptation of a gorgeous fabric covered journal and I never write in it! Don't worry Rachael, consider your blog part of your journal!!! Congrats to your friend - very happy for her on the great news!

. said...

This was a really fantastic post that I really do appreciate. This is something that is really amazing and interesting to me to say the least.
reggae music